1. The key points are the front leaf springs mounts (A), shock mounts (B) and pinion snubber mount (C). RRS uses these original mounting locations for its bolt-in three-link kit.
2. Prior to installation, this XY had been mini-tubbed — the inner wheel wells had been widened out to sit flush with the chassis rails. To take advantage of the extra room, it’s then customary on leaf-sprung Falcons and Mustangs to move the spring mounts from the outside of the rail to the inside. The RRS kit uses offset arms, minimizing fabrication and engineering while maximizing space.
3. This twelve hundred horsepower rated torque arm is the heart of the system. In a stock suspension setup, the torque travels down the tailshaft through the axle housing, interacts with road, then travels through the leaf springs, down the chassis rails back to the engine mounts.
In the RRS 3 link the torque travels down the tailshaft through the axle housing, interacts with road, then reverses and travels back through the axle housing and along the torque arm. This torque circuit is the most efficient way to get the power down in monocoque chassis street car.
4. Theses sturdy bolt-in mounts locate the dial-adjustable coil-overs and the Mumford frame. The Mumford linkage operates the same as a watts linkage but uses less depth so ideal for the XR to XY Falcon.
5. Before installing the upper shock mount, unbolt and remove the pinion snubber. Then simply hold the upper shock mount up in place, insert the two large bolts into the original shock mount holes (be sure to fit the heavy-gauge washers on the inside) and lightly nip up the nuts. Then refit the two snubber bolts through the mounting plate.
6. Push Mumford frame in place, clamp and drill holes place spreader plates and torque up nuts.
7. The RRS 3 link is supplied with either bolt-on (pictured here) or weld on diff adaptors, the bolt on adaptors take up the leaf spring centre bolt mount.
8. The RRS 3 link is supplied with either bolt-on or weld on diff adaptors, the bolt on adaptors (pictured here) the weld-on adaptor are just that welded on to the housing as to line up with leaf spring front eye bolts.
9. This video show the rest of the axle housing prep needed before fitting the axle housing back in the car.
10. The next step is to install the front cross member, the self locating outer tabs,
10. The RRS trailing arm uses large urethane rod ends, allowing for sufficient angular deflection while maintaining accuracy and stability. Note the arms are offset, allowing for greater tyre and calliper clearance than original 2.5in-wide leaf spring.
11. A significant amount of height adjustability has been built into the kit. The four holes on the lower shock mount bracket in combination with the four holes on the diff housing mount provide more than 75mm of height adjustment. Two bolts must always be used when attaching shocker mounting brackets to the differential housing.
12. Now it is time to put the housing in place, place the assembled housing trailing arms, and torque arm on a jack and wheel it into place. Attach the trailing arms and over centre link (the Heim joint at the end of the torque arm), move the housing to ride height, and connect the coil overs.
12. Install the Mumford linkage.
Torque Arm advantages
3 LINK OPTIONS
Customer supplied 9" housing
Bolt - on
Weld - on
Fully Configured on RRS supplied 9" Housing
7 levels of adjustment
• Mumford link mount frame assembly
• Cross member assembly
• Torque arm
• Upper shock mount frame
• Trailing arms
• Mumford linkage assembly
• Over centre link assembly
• Differential mounting brackets
• Coil over shock assembly
• Coil over shock adjustment tool
• Shock mount brackets
• All nuts, bolts& spacers
• Detailed fitting instructions
The superior geometry of the RRS 3 Link results in drastically reduced roll under steer, accurate turn in & firm flat cornering.
The range of kits can be broken down into three broad categories: specific fit bolt-in; weld-in; and the complete replacement rear assembly, which is ready to bolt straight in.
31 SPLINE AXLES
High Quality Axles with optional F100 size bearings
TRU TRACK DIFF CENTRE
High Quality 31 Spline Diff Centres
Return to XR- XY Index Page